Cadence

(A melodic or harmonic configuration that creates a sense of repose or resolution.)

"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God; I trust in the mercy of God for ever and ever." - Psalms 52:8

Sunday, December 16, 2007

burning up and out!

today's service really spoke to me. nope, it's not one of those 'slap in the face' sort of sermons, but it brought me support, strength, and direction... along with encouragement.

see, this week suddenly exploded in my face.

with dread, i suddenly realized that the children's party is next week. the venue's not booked, and it's impossible to get a function for saturday already, FOR SURE.

i have a hundred and one potluck parties to attend. potluck = must prepare = lots of time taken up.

my IC50 draft is overdue. it's been 2 days.

there are still 50 slides to count for some chemistry collaboration.

we need to harvest the next batch of culture before the year ends, which means detailed planning for a week before the experiment can begin. which is during the christmas season where there are tons of parties.

i need to request 30+ quotations for the new lab that just never seems to be opening.

there are birthdays to plan.

there is a wedding to plan. (not mine, don't freak out.)

there are meetups with people i have lost touch with (exactly?) 2 years ago.

presents to buy, presents to make, presents to prepare.

i need to plan this (wedding, birthday, meetings), i have to plan that (experiments, parties) and everything needs to be done within 2 weeks.

when i think about this, i start hyperventilating a little. i kid you not. i freaked out as i watched my fingers trembling really badly last friday when i was washing blood instead of going to melville for children's cell.

the only solace i found was alvin. the only one not pushing me for something when i faced him. sigh, thanks dear. :)

i was almost late for service today. i almost, almost, did not want to go.

but as much as i really wanted to stay home and slog, everything fell into place. well, i did miss 3 shuttle buses to expo, but once i hit the train station, the train to boon lay and the train to expo arrived just as i did. and i made it into hall 10 on extremely shaky 'i just took a swim' legs.

also, God put an idea in my head to have the party on Thursday instead of Saturday... and lo and behold, someone cancelled their Thursday 'day' slot (OH THANK GOD) which was perfect for games, swimming, and more of my kids can attend now! i really, really, thank God for this. T_T

i'm not running away from my work, you know? so you don't have to worry... it's just that i'm really, really busy. i'm scared of the workaholic i can feel myself turning into, and the adrenaline i need to keep me going on working is too much for my body, so i end up getting rushes; it forces me to take deep breaths, go for a swim or run off and meet alvin before i lose it.

yes, so today's sermon really helped. in a summary - this is Christmas. amidst all your hecticness, have you forgotten to celebrate the birth of Jesus?

thinking about the birth of Jesus fills me with joy. and a whole lot of happiness. hence, knowing that this is the season of celebration allows me to feel a little perkier, and less rundown by my work.

and somehow, i just know, i'm not going to die from this... i will put in my best effort to plan the coolest party for my children, be hardworking and finish all my work, meet my beloved friends with joy and thanksgiving, and spend a great Christmas loving God and everything He's pulled me through.


it was apparent when Chi Wern, Chin Ling, Alvin and I sat down to run through wedding plans. i felt so much joy 'working' on their plans that i knew God was giving me joy, just as i'd needed, to bring me through all the work.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


now, i just really need to maximise my time. heehee. and make this a great December. :)

alright. tomorrow's a brand new day. one Happy Working Song, coming right up!

YOSH.

---

Happy Working Song - Amy Adams (Enchanted OST)

All right everyone, time to tidy things up

Come my little friends
As we all sing a happy little working song
Merry little voices clear and strong
Come and roll your sleeves up
So that we can pitch in
Cleaning crud up in the kitchen
As we sing along

And you’ll trill a cheery tune in the tub
As we scrub a stubborn mildew stain
Lug a hairball from the shower drain
To the gay refrain
Of a happy working song

We’ll keep singing without fail
Otherwise we’d spoil it
Hosing down the garbage pail
And scrubbing up the toilet
Ooh!

How we all enjoy letting loose with a little
La-da-da-dum-dum
While we’re emptying the vacu-um
It’s such fun to hum
A happy working song
Oo-ooh
A happy working song

Oh, how strange a place to be
Till Edward comes for me
My heart is sighing
Still, as long as I am here
I guess a new experience
Could be worth trying
Hey! Keep drying!

You could do a lot when you got
Such a happy little tune to hum
While you’re sponging up the soapy scum
We adore each filthy chore
That we determine
So friends even though you’re vermin
We’re a happy working song

Singing as we fetch the detergent box
Or the smelly shirts and the stinky socks
Sing along
If you cannot sing then hum along
As we’re finishing our happy working song!

Ah...wasn’t this fun?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home