Cadence

(A melodic or harmonic configuration that creates a sense of repose or resolution.)

"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God; I trust in the mercy of God for ever and ever." - Psalms 52:8

Saturday, June 13, 2009

the rules of engagement

for those who are still in the dark (actually most of you know by now), I'M ENGAGED!!!! to a very wonderful young man named Alvin Chong. :D

it happened exactly one month ago on our 2nd year anniversary which was very nicely right smack at the start of our japan trip, and while we were having fun at Disneysea.

since then it's been quite emotionally charged, since we weren't going to be all lovey-dovey in front of hanbin and chuu for the rest of 9 days, so i felt rather repressed. but once we came back to singapore, i started to plan out who to meet to spring the surprise on them. the important must-say-in-person groups - my adult cell, my kids cell, the geps, my secondary, JC and uni pals.

first to know from me was of course my girlfriends: mel, angel and xinwei. right after alvin proposed, i called my mum (she already knew but she kept asking me if the ring was pretty, hahaha) and then sent an sms to all three of them. general response was 'OH MY GOD!!!' and 'YOU HAVE TO TELL US EVERYTHING WHEN YOU COME BACK OKAY!'

:D

oh before this, alvin seeked the approval of my parents, pastor william, and aileen. then he also emailed jade but i'm not privy to what he said in his email... but i was so glad he told u, my dear! coz i don't have your handphone number, and i have no internet access to chat with you etc, and i knew you'd love to know about it, so i was glad alvin took the initiative. smart boy. :D

the next party was my adults cell group, of which ingrid and nel already guessed, while candice was completely floored and asked, 'then where's your ring??!?!'

'hehe have to resize by half size. hehe.'

actually ingrid and nel have not seen the ring. acks. should really try to meet them soon. (I'M SORRY I DIDN'T COME FOR YOUR SHOP'S OPENING!!! A THOUSAND GOMENASAIS!)

the coming monday, i met my uni pals ambrose, greg, and serene. annabelle had work to do while stupid jobyna felt ill and went home. -_- i was really counting on her response lor.

the method i used was to take the video of the proposal and play it on alvin's media player... AND IT FAILED. ambrose looked at the screen... and said, 'what the heck? what's this? ... WHY ARE YOU GUYS KISSING??!?! MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!'

i rolled my eyes, and said, 'you didn't see the part when alvin got down on his knees!!'

*pause*

serene and greg yelled, 'YOU'RE ENGAGED!!! YAY!!!' while ambrose just sat there grinning incredulously. man, i LOVE getting engaged so much. hahahaha.

i saw annabelle a few days later and told her, while as for jo this was what transpired:

i saw her on msn (a rarity) and immediately pounced on her coz i couldn't wait anymore.

5/26/2009
10:24:32 PM
Ms. Moo (@)
Jobyna (R)
hey wah lau
5/26/2009
10:24:47 PM
Ms. Moo (@)
Jobyna (R)
i wanted to tell u guys i got engaged yesterday man
5/26/2009
10:25:15 PM
Ms. Moo (@)
Jobyna (R)
:D
5/26/2009
10:25:23 PM
Ms. Moo (@)
Jobyna (R)
alvin proposed at disneysea! :)
5/26/2009
10:25:26 PM
Jobyna (R)
Ms. Moo (@)
oh MY GOD!!!!
5/26/2009
10:25:30 PM
Ms. Moo (@)
Jobyna (R)
YAR
5/26/2009
10:25:32 PM
Ms. Moo (@)
Jobyna (R)
U KNOW
5/26/2009
10:25:38 PM
Jobyna (R)
Ms. Moo (@)
DAMN I SHOULD HAVE GONE
5/26/2009
10:25:41 PM
Ms. Moo (@)
Jobyna (R)
I WAS COUNTING ON YOUR REACTION
5/26/2009
10:25:44 PM
Ms. Moo (@)
Jobyna (R)
-_-
5/26/2009
10:25:46 PM
Jobyna (R)
Ms. Moo (@)
though i was drugged!
5/26/2009
10:25:52 PM
Ms. Moo (@)
Jobyna (R)
coz everyone else was like
5/26/2009
10:25:55 PM
Ms. Moo (@)
Jobyna (R)
ahhhhh
5/26/2009
10:25:55 PM
Jobyna (R)
Ms. Moo (@)
you could ask me out again and tell me ma
5/26/2009
10:25:58 PM
Jobyna (R)
Ms. Moo (@)
why tell me here









5/26/2009
10:26:05 PM
Jobyna (R)
Ms. Moo (@)
you cant here me scream
5/26/2009
10:26:07 PM
Ms. Moo (@)
Jobyna (R)
coz i wanna put on my blog liao
5/26/2009
10:26:09 PM
Ms. Moo (@)
Jobyna (R)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
5/26/2009
10:26:19 PM
Jobyna (R)
Ms. Moo (@)
i just dropped my phone conversation with bf!!
5/26/2009
10:26:21 PM
Ms. Moo (@)
Jobyna (R)
it's ok my imagination works fine
5/26/2009
10:26:25 PM
Ms. Moo (@)
Jobyna (R)
HAHAHAHAHA
5/26/2009
10:26:27 PM
Ms. Moo (@)
Jobyna (R)
thanks
5/26/2009
10:26:28 PM
Ms. Moo (@)
Jobyna (R)
)))
5/26/2009
10:26:28 PM
Jobyna (R)
Ms. Moo (@)
told him i'll call back
5/26/2009
10:26:52 PM
Ms. Moo (@)
Jobyna (R)
yar man i must tell u first
5/26/2009
10:26:53 PM
Jobyna (R)
Ms. Moo (@)
damn. you should have told me in person
5/26/2009
10:26:58 PM
Jobyna (R)
Ms. Moo (@)
i could have cried

yay, jo's reaction - you can always count on it. :D

we met the geps next for some late night Star Trek, but after dinner i was so excited to leave for the theatre that i destroyed alvin's chance to tell them (I'M SO SORRY DEAR). i'm so glad i didn't miss a bit of star trek though, coz it was great!!! we told them after the movie, but it was quite funny coz wailiong and greg already knew, wailiong being the one who was THERE taking pictures of us at disneysea, and since greg was part of my uni bunch he'd already known since monday. so pete and jack were surprised and congratulated us. that's the thing about guys - they smile and shake your hand but there's no screaming. i think screaming is necessary. haha!

next: my kids cell group. i was so happy to see all of them and give out presents that i FORGOT to tell them! until aileen popped by to check on us, did i suddenly shout and say, 'WOW CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT. I'M ENGAGED!!'

all of them immediately forgot about their gachapon and grilled me for details. we then went to natalie's place to play with her kitten, and saboteur until alvin came to get me... and then they grilled him about details too.
ah, they are how cute. :D

i finally met with my girlfriends on wednesday night (following week) at marmalade pantry and we had a fun time discussing details for a wedding. like, when i mentioned that they're all going to be my jiemei, xinwei turned to alvin and went, 'you know. what you can do is bribe me now and with a mere $2 i'll let you in on that day. but you have to start bribing me from now. deal?'

and also they made sure i had no colour code.

xw: eh you're not going to make us all wear the same colour right? especially when you have so many jiemei.

v: no la don't worry i won't! er, but maybe all pastels or something?

xw indignantly: WHAT! pastels? you wanna make this woman (points at a rather clueless angel) wear pastels???

i laughed, while angel was all, 'heyyyyy... :(' then she caught up with the conversation and went, 'YAR I SO CANNOT WEAR PASTELS MAN.'

here are my dear ladies:

DSCF9644

DSCF9648

after dinner, i told mel to help organize the secondary school bunch for a meet since it's a little suspect if i organize right after i come back from japan, yeah?

and you know what the smart girl did?? she totally hoodwinked the rest by saying that 'hey let's meet, i have someone to introduce to you guys.' which was chuan, her current squeeze (i really like this dude man). and waddya know, angee had a new guy in her life too! so we all met a few days back at 930pm, holland village.

kunshan was absolutely wilting and wanting to go home, but she waited because she really wanted to see all these new boyfriends of our pals. so once everyone gathered at coffee bean, i said,

'actually mel wasn't the one who called for this meet... i did.'

i slipped my ring on (which i was hiding in my palm, and totally worried i'd drop it) and slammed my left hand on the table.

'I'M ENGAGED!!!'

from my position i was right opposite angee and her expression was priceless. there was a pause all around for the sentence to get through, ANGEE'S EYES ACTUALLY BULGED, then everyone reacted at the same time:

'WAH SO BIG!!!'

by far i think this was the best method to tell people about your engagement. the girls then went into a whole flurry of debate about how they always knew i was going to be first, how large the diamond was (eh it's not THAT large la, not like 1 carat or what, yeah?), how much did alvin spend, what happened? then it went into WOW YOU WENT TO JAPAN and then the conversation branched out.

DSCF9682

i love my friends!!! :D

and i am so glad i told alvin specifically that i didn't want a public proposal... it's so much more fun getting into groups and telling your friends about it so you can spend time with them gushing about the details, yeah? :D

and also i get damn paiseh la. at disneysea among strangers i was already very shy, thank goodness only 3 people in the entire place knew me personally. :D:D:D

so there you go! now let's wait for alvin to blog about the details in his planning (which was all of 2 days, sans the gondola idea).

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home