Cadence

(A melodic or harmonic configuration that creates a sense of repose or resolution.)

"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God; I trust in the mercy of God for ever and ever." - Psalms 52:8

Monday, July 20, 2009

the smooth criminal

the day before michael jackson died my player shuffled up 'Do You Remember The Time?'.

instead of skipping it like i always do, i paused just before my index finger pressed on 'next' and listened the entire song through.

i reminisced about how wonderful the MTV was; it was the first ever MTV i'd ever watched in my life (i was primary 4, working on a school project at xiaohui's place... yes the same xiaohui we all know). watching MJ spin into dust was just marvellous, how i kept trying to catch the MTV on channel 5 thereafter, just to watch him dance over and over.

i reflected on that primary 4 moment, smiling indulgently to myself as i strode into the basement carpark of my office building.


the next day, i woke up with 'Blood on the Dance Floor' on repeat in my head as i brushed my teeth... i was pretty bewildered, but knowing how my brain just short-circuits sometimes i decided to leave it on repeat...

until i got off the bus i was taking to the mrt station. my eyes glanced past the TV mobile set.

headline: Michael Jackson has died.

the record in my head stopped as i reeled in shock. what about his tour? why? i was just appreciating his music, his dance moves, yesterday...

he died on Thursday.

but only on the following Sunday did i show how much of a loss this meant to me, and only in front of alvin while i cried and grieved as we watched MTV's making of 'Do You Remember The Time?'.

pete, you are not alone.


6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home